Moon Rabbit is a sustainable social enterprise café from community organisation the Bridge.
From little things, big things grow
We launched Moon Rabbit in March 2018 to create practical training opportunities for learners with additional needs, to complement our vocational training. TTT – Tiered Training & Transition is a tailored work-readiness program with classroom-based training, ongoing support and practical placement at Moon Rabbit. We also wanted to create an income stream to support our community programs that are currently underfunded, such as Laneway Lunch, which feeds 40-60 people each Friday.
In our first year we’ve trained 26 students through the TTT program and prevented more than 10,000 disposable coffee cups from ending up in landfill.
Sustainability at the forefront
These are some of the measures we’ve taken at Moon Rabbit to help the environment:
- We don’t have disposable takeaway cups. BYO mug, borrow a pre-loved mug or glass jar from our collection, or purchase a Moon Rabbit reusable cup.
- We don’t offer plastic takeaway containers. All takeaway food is served in paper bags and glass jars (or BYO container), and we serve food and drinks in ceramic plates and cups with proper cutlery to customers who dine in at the café.
- We don’t sell drinks in plastic bottles. All of our cold drinks come in glass bottles and aluminium cans, and customers can refill their own water bottles at Moon Rabbit for free.
- We don’t have disposable carry trays. Cloth carry bags are available for purchase if you need to carry more than one coffee.
- We don’t have plastic drinking straws. Paper straws are available on request.
- We reuse leftover drinking water to water our plants.
- We use worm farms for most of our organic waste; compost juices are added to our herb gardens. Remaining food scraps are composted by members of our community. (Get in touch if you’d like to take some, or visit Sharewaste to register your compost as a community collection site.)
- Our coffee is delivered in large, refillable tins by Padre Coffee, which we return for reuse.
- Our coffee grounds are reused by Croxton School and DIVRS in their community gardens.
- Our bread is delivered in reusable fabric bread bags by Northcote Bakeshop. We use the loaf ends for making staff meals and breadcrumbs, which are available for sale.
- We take reusable containers to Preston Market to purchase our cheese and meat.
- Our fruit and vegetables are delivered in cardboard boxes, which we return to our supplier, and we’re working with them to eliminate any produce arriving in plastic packaging.
- We hand-stamp our loyalty cards and business cards on reused cardboard.
- We wash and air-dry our laundry – tea towels, cleaning cloths and bread bags – on site to conserve energy.
What’s a moon rabbit?
The moon rabbit is a popular character in Asian folklore, known for its kindness and generosity of spirit, that watches over us from the moon. If you look closely, you can see the image of a rabbit pounding a mortar and pestle in the moon at night.
Look, Ma, we’re famous!
Jump the hipster-proof fence into feel-good territory, The Age – Good Food
Enterprise with heart and conscience, The Age – Good Food
Now Open: A Social-Enterprise Cafe in Preston, Broadsheet Melbourne
Moon Rabbit review, The Urban List | Melbourne
Hop in and give plastic the boot, Preston Leader / Herald Sun
Caffeine for a cause at Moon Rabbit!, Darebin Community News