Bulk Foods Collective
Our Bulk Foods Collective will offer affordable, everyday pantry items in bulk – doing our bit to achieve a plastic-free Darebin and create a more sustainable community. Buy only what you need, BYO containers and avoid unnecessary packaging.
Our list includes grains, gluten-free options, nuts, dried fruit, popcorn, chocolates, coffee and tea, cleaning products and more. Click here for the full product and price list.
Thursday evenings (5pm – 7:30pm)
BFC shop Saturdays are family-friendly – with free babycinos, a Moon Rabbit brunch menu and a kids’ play area – as well as stocking lunchbox snacks and sweets, like jelly snakes and chocolate freckles. It’s a chance to hang out and meet other members of the collective. BFC Thursday evenings will be more of a stop-and-shop; refill what you need on your way home from work.
Upcoming shop dates: (at 218 High St, Preston unless specified)
- March: Thu 5, Sat 14, Sat 21*, Thu 26
- April: Sat 4, Thu 9, Sat 18, Thu 23
- May: Sat 2, Thu 7, Sat 16, Thu 21 , May 30
- June: Thu 4, Sat 13, Sat 20*, Thu 25
* at Makers Market Thornbury from 10am-2pm
How to shop in bulk
Make a shopping list!
Step 2: Gather your clean, empty containers. Reuse what you have: glass jars, produce bags, plastic bags, etc.
Step 3: Weigh and mark your empty containers when you get to the Bulk Foods shop. We’ll subtract that weight at the checkout so you only pay for the food inside your container.
Step 4: Fill containers with your chosen bulk foods. There’s no minimum purchase amount, so buy as much or as little as you like.
Step 5: Take your filled containers to the checkout and pay. Discounts are available for members, concession-card holders and pensioners.
BFC membership entitles you to:
- a 10% discount on bulk foods
- discounts on Bridge Darebin venue hire
- be part of a collective of like-minded Darebin residents who want to contribute to a more sustainable neighbourhood, sharing resources and supporting each other
- be part of the BFC steering committee and support the decision-making and operations of the collective
- TIER 1: $15 per year. Tier 1 members must commit to volunteering twice per year at a BFC shop day.
- TIER 2: $36 per year with no volunteering requirements
- CONCESSION TIER: free for concession-card holders who can meet the volunteering requirements
Membership and volunteer hours can be shared between two people. This price structures ensures we are offering affordable and accessible products for everyone.
There’s no need to pre-register; simply show up and sign up on a shop day. You’ll receive a confirmation email with information about the Facebook group and volunteer dates.
We encourage fulfilling your volunteer hours on shop days, which includes:
- helping sort out stock
- showing people how to fill up their jars
- running checkout
If you can’t make it on a shop day but would like to volunteer your skills in other areas – like marketing, accounting, database management – get in touch (contact details below)!
Click here to read our BFC membership charter.
Stay up to date
Join the Moon Rabbit Bulk Foods Collective Facebook group for updates on shop days, products, volunteer shifts and other zero-waste resources.
Get in touch
If you’d like to partner, supply or connect with the Moon Rabbit Bulk Foods Collective, email Mahira (Collective Organiser) at firstname.lastname@example.org to chat about all the exciting things we can do together.